Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The woman in the mirror

I looked into the mirror and I saw a sad old woman behind the glass
I asked her, "Why are you so sad?"
She responded with tears rolling down her cheek.
I told her, "I cannot help you if all you do is cry."
She looked down and said, "I have spent my entire life loving others, and today, I stand her alone."
I said to her, "They do not matter. They were your life's lesson."
She smirked, and said, "No. My actions were my life's lessons."
I asked her, "Really, why do you say that?"
She said, "I have seen people love themselves more than others.  They only used and abused others and in return received love and admiration in return. I now see that had I been more selfish, perhaps today I wouldn't be alone."
I told her, "You could change. You could become like them.  You could use and abuse others to get the love you desire."
She said to me, "No. It's too late for me. I love others far more than I love myself.  It is my destiny to die alone and lonely."
I told her, "You won't be totally alone.  I will come here and visit you every morning and every night.  I will love you always."
She turned from the mirror and mumbled, "See. I told you. The only way for lasting love is to use and abuse."

No comments:

Post a Comment